Eowyn vs. Arwen
Bear with me. Non-LOTR fans can tune out right now. ;)
Eowyn was always my favorite female character. What a woman! Brave and fierce. Strength of the heart. She hated being caged up and wanted to fight for the good rather than sit behind. She was not some dainty fragile fairy princess. And who could forget that line:
"I am no man!"
as she defeated the witch king!
Boom...Roasted!
But lately, quite suddenly, my preference has changed. I'm starting to understand Arwen a little more.
Perhaps because lately I'm tired of fighting....I'd rather be fought for.
Don't get me wrong. I've always loved Arwen. Beautiful and fair. Mystical and wise.
But I've always kind of seen her as a bystander in the story; not helping in the battle for good...her people leaving on ships to save their own skin...until just recently.Yes, she had her moment: the way she sassed the Nazgul after the swift chase on horses to bring Frodo to safety...yet she never engaged in hand-to-hand combat. But I now understand the sacrifices she made to fight for the good in her own uniquely feminine way...perhaps a more powerful contribution than even Eowyn. Compared the Eowyn, what she did was much more subtle and quiet.
Think about it. Would Aragorn have followed the destiny set upon him if not for her?
When we first meet Aragorn he is a Ranger, "Strider." Running away from his fate. His leadership qualities are obvious to everyone but him. He knows what he should do...but fear holds him back. Fear of failure. By the time he gets the hobbits to Rivendell, he's still contemplating his future. Then this (the end of this vid):
Eowyn was always my favorite female character. What a woman! Brave and fierce. Strength of the heart. She hated being caged up and wanted to fight for the good rather than sit behind. She was not some dainty fragile fairy princess. And who could forget that line:
"I am no man!"
as she defeated the witch king!
Boom...Roasted!
But lately, quite suddenly, my preference has changed. I'm starting to understand Arwen a little more.
Perhaps because lately I'm tired of fighting....I'd rather be fought for.
Don't get me wrong. I've always loved Arwen. Beautiful and fair. Mystical and wise.
But I've always kind of seen her as a bystander in the story; not helping in the battle for good...her people leaving on ships to save their own skin...until just recently.Yes, she had her moment: the way she sassed the Nazgul after the swift chase on horses to bring Frodo to safety...yet she never engaged in hand-to-hand combat. But I now understand the sacrifices she made to fight for the good in her own uniquely feminine way...perhaps a more powerful contribution than even Eowyn. Compared the Eowyn, what she did was much more subtle and quiet.
Think about it. Would Aragorn have followed the destiny set upon him if not for her?
When we first meet Aragorn he is a Ranger, "Strider." Running away from his fate. His leadership qualities are obvious to everyone but him. He knows what he should do...but fear holds him back. Fear of failure. By the time he gets the hobbits to Rivendell, he's still contemplating his future. Then this (the end of this vid):
Those words! She weaved hope and encouragement. And she didn't just say..."you might defeat evil" she assured him that "he will defeat evil." She believed in him...in his potential. Her tenderness helped bring out the King in him.
Then she does the unthinkable. She seals her words with a gift, her immortality. I mean...that's huge! Despite the urgings of her father, her heart is set. She gives up all the wonders of an immortal life, the company of her family, and chooses death to be with him...this imperfect man.
Talk about being vulnerable...there it is!
Such a sacrifice.
And Aragorn carries her words with him. We frequently see him holding her necklace, remembering her confidence in him...her light shines into his darkness at times. Gives him strength. He fights for her. Her femininity helps to bring out his masculinity.
Similar situation (putting her naive obsession over a man she's only seen once aside), Ariel sacrifices for Eric.
Belle brings out the man in the beast.
And Pocahontas's passion softens the hearts of the men who were on the brink of bloody war.
Jesus dies for me. The Ultimate Sacrifice.
All these reflections for this:
I guess I'm tired of looking for the "perfect guy"...I know I'll never find him. None but Jesus.
What I do want is a "good man."
What wouldn't I sacrifice?
Comments
Post a Comment