Airports

Weird dream.
But at least I dreamed. That doesn't happen too often lately, and when it does is usually just feels like a continuation of my day...something involving my kids and the classroom.
But this...
I think I was in London, or Ireland?
And I was accused of stealing the King's gold ring. They had all the people accused of a crime line up by a tall stone tower in the center of the city. If you were guilty they would throw you off the top to your death. I had just reached the top of the stairs, preparing myself for the long fall...at least it would be a quick death...when they suddenly found proof for my innocence, someone brought the stolen ring back to the King. They let me go free.
I woke, stirred up. Because something in the dream resonated with me and I don't know what. It felt symbolic. Me...in a foreign place, burdened but innocent. I don't know...

Now that I think about it...airports have been the location for many of my dreams lately. I'm not quite there yet, and I haven't really left. Burdened with bags of belonging. An in-between place. A transition. The Waiting Room. Usually, in these dreams, I'm in an airport in another country waiting to come home. Yeah....symbolic. I'm going places but I haven't even boarded my plane. The important thing is that it's a temporary state.

When I did a lot of traveling in Europe, I used to love the airport or train station atmosphere. The anticipation of venturing on to a new place. I was always nervous about missing my trip, so I would usually go at least a half hour early. Sit and Sudoku, read a book, jot in a journal, and watch people. Time to sit and wait and think/reflect while the rest of the world bustled around me. Surrounded by people, but yet solitary.

I want to travel again.
One of the most important things about airports is being ready to board that plane. You don't want to miss it. So I must be ready. And the time to wait is good so that I can collect myself, gather my bearings.

I just realized that the socks I am wearing today are my "Mind the Gap" socks from London. The phrase spoken over the speakers at every tube stop: "please mind the gap between the train and the platform."

Watch your step. Be careful little feet where you go. Don't be hasty. Take your time. Because there are hurdles to jump. There are gaps, separations, divides. But if your feet are steady...

Comments

Popular Posts